UN targets for sustainability: Covestro in the forefrontMake the world a better place. This is Covestro's goal for the next few years. Our rainbow-coloured logo is the synthesis of our corporate vision: we want to leave behind the grey that has characterized the chemical industry in the collective imagination and bring strength and colour into people's lives with our actions. With production processes, with high-tech polymers and with entrepreneurial choices we want to make the difference. And it was natural to welcome and make our UN goals for a more sustainable world our own.
Corporate sustainability and social sustainability are intimately connected. The indications of the UN
The UN has set 17 goals to achieve sustainable growth. In 2015, the United Nations defined an agenda of practices to be followed to end all forms of poverty and inequality. And it has also been established to make economic processes ethical and sustainable, to fight climate change and to promote peace and collaboration between productive and social subjects.
These are guidelines that promote prosperity and together protect the planet. The 17 objectives can be grouped into 5 fundamental themes.
1. Fight against poverty. There are three key concepts: work, food and health. A battle that is waged with proper economic growth that offers decent jobs, gives the right sustenance for people and guarantees a healthy life for all ages.
2. Fight against inequalities. Building an inclusive society with a careful look at the most disadvantaged populations, with better education and equal opportunities for all. Giving guaranteed access to health services, clean water and renewable energy.
3. Sustainable economic development. To push industries to pursue innovation in production and infrastructure. Offer a job that respects people and a life that takes place in cities or communities of solidarity attentive to the consumption of goods and energy.
4. Sustainable environment. Accept requests and requests for a greener planet. Carefully manage oceans like land. Respect ecosystems, fight desertification and stop the loss of biodiversity.
5. Cooperation for peace and solidarity. Promote fairer societies with strong institutions capable of supporting people. But also able to dialogue with the great actors of productive life and to build global partnership actions for sustainable development.